Hod, Goodbye My Friend

Tears filled my eyes on Wednesday.

When I heard that a dear friend, Howard "Hod" Nielsen, had died, it struck me pretty hard. I had not seen Hod in awhile which further exasperated my feelings.

As I read memorials this week about Hod, his story and who he was poured out in newspaper columns, and social media circles. Each of these tributes, including Randy Dockendorf of the Yankton Press and Dakotan, Mick Garry of the Argus Leader, Kelly Hertz of the Yankton Press and Dakotan and James Cimburek of the Yankton Press and Dakotan brought out different stories and perspectives. All of them showcased the respect, honor and integrity ingrained in one of Yankton's favorite sons.

I never met Hod until he was about 58 years old - 35 years ago. From that day forward, we were friends, pure and simple.

My first meeting with Hod occurred in 1988 while I was USD's media relations director. As such, I sometimes ventured over to visit another friend and SID at the time - Mike Mahon (later Drake SID and Coyote Sports Hall of Fame inductee). This occasion I was discussing with Mike about filling the sports pages of the South Dakotan, USD's alumni publication. While there, Mike told me that Hod Nielsen of the Yankton Press and Dakotan  was going to stop by. I knew of this guy - I read Hod's column every week. Full of history and perspective, his words shined about prep or collegiate sports or some remarkable achievement in South Dakota's unique sports history. But, I had not met him.

That afternoon, Mahon told me a little about Nielsen, a 1949 USD graduate and former Coyote football player in the 1940s (all 140 pounds of him). He had been a World War II photo reconnaissance pilot in World War II. Nielsen, who would be referenced by another Yankton son, Tom Brokaw in his book, "The Greatest Generation," flew a stripped down and unarmed P-38 over occupied Europe during WWII. Unlike his brother, Bob,, Hod made it home, nearly miraculously as he was among just seven of 27 crew members to survive the rigors of that war. He was decorated with the Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with oak leaf cluster, and a President Unit Citation. He achieved the rank of Captain. A hero to his core.

On that day, we didn't talked about World War II - fact is - we rarely spoke of that time. We talked about something USD- oriented and then laughed a bit. From that day, I felt a connection to Hod.

Every ensuing time I saw Hod, he always had a smile, a story to tell, a joke to make or an insight that was almost always on point. I always relished our time together.

From what I know about him, Hod Nielsen did a lot in 92 years of life. Sports editor and writer at the Press and Dakotan for more than 40 years, his column, "Play-by-Play," was part of the P&D for more than 40 years, well after retirement. Nielsen was also a radio guy with a career that began in the 1950. He did great work at KYNT-AM, including working at numerous South Dakota basketball tournaments. Hod became the voice of the Yankton Bucks and spent a time in the 1980s broadcasting for his alma mater - The University of South Dakota, a cherished time for the former Coyote. He is the only South Dakota media person to be named Sportswriter of the Year and Broadcaster of the Year. One of the founders of the South Dakota Sports Hall of Fame, Nielsen has been named to nearly every hall I can think of. Beyond that, he raised a family and did a lot of volunteer work and service in Yankton.

While media relations director, Mike convinced me (as did Hod) to take part in the H&K Open (I believe it was called) in Irene. "Ok, I thought, I will go over and hit a few balls." While there, I didn't kill any birds or hit any people with my wayward golfing stroke but I did lose about a dozen balls. That is a common theme with my golfing.

I have never forgotten my first time at the golf outing. The real value was interacting with a smorgasbord of people from media types to business guys to educators. Hod and Mike were right, it was well worth my time. Stories, some enlarged and exaggerated over time, flowed like beer from a tap. I went to it a few times, each experience feeding my thirst for sports history and the trips and experiences that people encountered when they coached, played, officiated or simply went to watch.

In 2000 when I took over SID chores at USD, I was able to see Hod on a regular basis. He would pop in and our talks would go on for awhile before we took care of his business at hand. Sometimes, he was there to do an interview or wanted a little data about a player or some alum. I soon realized that Hod was one of those walking/talking South Dakota sports history books. His passion for Yankton Bucks athletics was a topic at times but mostly we discussed his beloved Coyotes.

I recall numerous discussions about Harry Gamage, Carl "Rube" Hoy, Moose Merrigan,Joe Salem, Dwayne Clodfelter, Bob Mulcahy and the many others that fill the Coyotes book of lore. I learned a lot about Coyote sports history from Hod Nielsen.

From my view, Hod knew about nearly everything that happened in South Dakota, especially the southeast corner, over the past seven or so decades. I learned a lot from that man.

Hod was among the best storytellers I have known. Taking a trip through history with Hod was captivating and you felt like you were on the field or court as he described a game, a memorable moment or an exceptional individual. Hod, who never involved himself in the narrative, had that Dakota Spirit - a South Dakota guy through and through.

As I reflected on Hod this week, I recalled my first week in the SID office when he gave me the go-ahead to ask him for anything I needed in the new job. His invaluable insight proved fruitful so many times. He even wrote a column about SIDs and I was humbled when he mentioned my name.

Every Saturday like clockwork, Hod made his way up the DakotaDome steps for his place at the north end of the pressbox for the football game. Before the game began, he would venture to the field to say hey to a few Yankton players or coaches on the sidelines. When the NCC played games on back-to-back nights, he always was there. He found his place along press row beside Mick Garry of the Argus Leader, Terry Hersom of the Sioux City Journal, the P&D's Jeremy Hoeck or James Cimburek, Volante staffers among others. He always kept his own notes about the game and would let me know if we screwed something up in stats or about some historical bit.

As I noted earlier, Hod rarely spoke to me about WWII but when he did, he opened up a bit. As someone intriqued by that war, I listened intently and learned about the price that his generation paid. Later I came to understand his feelings about his country, that war and the loss of friends and brothers in battle. One night, the decision was reached to play the National Anthem during the USD women's game only, foregoing the  men's game to provide some extra time to do some promotion of some sort. It was a mistake.

That night, Hod was upset and I didn't know why until after talking with him the next day. His pride of country - and his lost military brothers - and the importance of the anthem had a special place in his heart as it resonates with all the veterans. We corrected that anthem issue immediately.

There were so many experiences with Hod and I could go on. But mostly, our connection we shared remained strong. We always had sports dialogue to share and matters that friends talk about like job and family.

When I left USD he was among the first people, I talked to about my next step in life. He showed his true friendship and support.  We shared a coffee and vowed to stay connected.

Sometimes distance separates friends and time winds away. I made a couple of trips to Yankton but not enough, not nearly enough. Our meetings became rare as we would only meet at events at USD or in Sioux Falls or some regional sporting venue such as the South Dakota Sports Hall of Fame.

There are few people that are as genuine as Hod Nielsen. He was a man of honor and humble to the core. He was a guy that always had time for people and carried a gracious, heart-warming smile and demeanor. He was disarming and always treated people with respect. A conversation with Hod was a feel-good moment.

I will miss that - I will miss him.

I always respected Hod's way of doing things. Most memorable was the way he would always find me to say hello upon his arrival at an event. After games ended, he stopped down at my office as I was frantically getting post-game stuff accomplished. No interruptions, just a quick wave and a goodbye message.,

In a sense, I feel robbed that I don't have those conversations, those hellos and goodbyes, with Hod anymore.  

Sleep well my friend, I wish the heavens would open up for one more conversation.

I will head to Yankton on Monday for his funeral at 10:30 a.m. at Trinity Lutheran, which will be full of his family, friends, colleagues and neighbors.

I have to tell him goodbye.

Tears are still filling my eyes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Good Guy" Joe Glenn Returns to Alma Mater to Take Over FB Job

Ode to GHS Class of 1978 –

SD Prep Boys Basketball Preview - Race for Titles Begin Tonight